Retirees - FAQs

When will I receive my retirement check?
Retirement funds are payable on the 22nd of each month or the following business day if the 22nd is a holiday or weekend.

How do I notify GRS of a bank account change?
You need to complete a new direct deposit form which must be notarized. Forms may be completed in our office or you may mail the completed form.

How do I notify GRS of a change in address?
A change of address must be made in writing. You can mail a change of address to our office at 716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd N, Suite 430, Birmingham, Alabama 35203.

If I remarry, will I continue to receive my joint survivorship pension?
Yes, a change in marital status will not affect your joint survivorship pension.

What does my family need to do in the event of my death?
In the event of your death, your family should contact GRS at (205) 325-5354. GRS will need a certified copy of your death certificate. Please instruct your family to wait to close your bank account until all payments due to you have been made. 

Are my pension benefits taxable by the state of Alabama? 

Under Alabama Act 91-480, Pension benefits are not subject to Alabama state income tax.

Act 91-480.pdf