Active Member - FAQs

I just got married/divorced, do I need to notify GRS?
Beneficiary designations need to be updated with GRS if you get married or divorced. A divorce decree does not change beneficiary information. Also, beneficiary forms you may complete for other Jefferson County offices will not apply to your retirement benefits.

When do I make an appointment to complete retirement paperwork?
Appointments should be made approximately 30 days before you retire. You should also make an appointment immediately following your appointment with GRS with Human Resources to discuss health insurance. The number for Human Resources is (205) 325-5249.

How long does it take to receive a refund once I leave Jefferson County employment?
Refunds take approximately 60-90 days to process once GRS receives your election form.

Can I roll my contributions from a previous employer?
No, rollover contributions are not accepted by GRS.